Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mint.com is Cool but my Banks are Douches

I just started using Mint.com a couple of weeks ago. It all started when I pledged to myself that I would start to clean up my personal budgeting. Living check to check is no way to live, and with a little commitment to the finances, staying on a budget is absolutely possible. It was something that used to happen for me when I was 20, but for the last dozen years I just haven't paid enough attention to it.

Well, I bought the quick and dirty version of Quicken from Fry's, but I got it at the same time as Spore, so guess what won out as far as time spent on my computer? I opened the Quicken box at least and took the CD out, but never made it past that. A couple weeks pass by and I see a post on Friendfeed about Mint.com. So, I loaded it up.

So far, I like the service. The reminders are nice, and budgeting is something I need to wrap my head around a lot more than I've been doing. The features of sending me text messages and emails about upcoming due bill payments is incredibly useful.

My biggest issue has nothing to do with mint.com itself, but a realization that most of the banks I do business with are all douches. I get paid twice a month, 15th and end of the month. The end of the month check pretty much goes exclusively to rent, nothing much I can really do about that. But, if you look carefully at the due dates in my email box above? They're all the 14th. Really? Every bank I do business with, can't you just put off your due date by one more day, please? I'm going to pay you, honest, but my ship doesn't really come in until the 15th of each month. So, Juniper Bank, GE Money, and Affiliated Computer Services, I see that you want your money a day before I get mine, but it just isn't going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment